Monday, March 19, 2007

trans • heart • inner • section

Indonesia International Performance Art Event 2006

IIPAE2006

http://iipae2006participants.blogspot.com/




trans • heart • inner • section

National Gallery [Galeri Nasional Indonesia]
Jakarta - Indonesia

9th December 2006







The idea of “trans-heart-inner-section” came to my mind when I woke up in the morning of d-day of my performance and made me changed the idea before.

This performance was dedicated to my beloved father who died two weeks before IIPAE2006’s event.

The concept of this performance was about transferring memory and sadness also transformation of a heart.

It was a very difficult situation during preparing of IIPAE2006 [+3 months], between as organizer and a ‘nurse’ for my father in daily life until he passed away.

There was a ‘floating’ space in my heart to manipulate all my sadness to be a strong mind and feeling still kept in focus.

Then I thought that I could not deny anymore about my feeling. I could not keep my sadness by myself. I need to make it out and makes me could ‘fly away’ again. So my performance will be my ‘honest’-thing what I suppose to do.

I ask to everybody who the audience to write any wishes to my father’s soul if they would like to do it on a sheet of yellow oil-paper. This paper is usually used for death ritual.

I used projection of the last procession of my late father to be showed on the wall through a transparent glass [90x90 cm]. Glass is a symbol of something fragile. I showed images of the funeral of my father’s body to the audience. A chair with a batik-tile which was used to my father’s body and a sheet of white-tile were on it. A chair was symbol of my father.

I went to a shower near the site of my performance. I put the water with seven kinds of flower and back to in front of the projector.

I sat down for a while on the chair, faced the audience through the glass and the images from the projector on my face into the wall behind me. I stood up and cut the white tile into seven [7] pieces and tied them on my head, my body and my feet. It was a symbol of 7 pieces wide white tiles [kafan] to cover a dead body. I stood up beyond the glass and start to spray the glass with white paint. The images from the wall showed its pictures on the glass. The images were not projected on me anymore. The audience could see clearly all the images.

I moved the chair from behind the glass to in front of the glass. I sat down for a while and audience could see my face clearly with the projection of the images, without the glass as a transparent wall.

I took a shower with the water and flowers.

I put the batik-tile and ask to audience to make their wishes to my father’s soul on the yellow oil paper into an origami to be like a bird or aero plane and threw them to the batik-tile. I faced the chair and put my head on it as my father was there, like on his knees and lay down for a while.

Then I lifted the chair and broke the glass into pieces. I broke all sadness and bad feeling because memories of loosing of my father.

http://www.araiart.jp/iipae069e.html

No comments: